Summer 2011

Winnemucca, NV to Salt Lake City, UT

350 Miles/560 Km

7 July 2011

Route Map

Click on pinpoints for local information

Destination Map

Photographs and Commentary
Click on picture to enlarge

It should have been a straightforward trip... but it wasn't. This is being written a day late because I was not in the mood to write when we finally got in to the Salt Lake City KOA.

We left Winnemucca at a little after 7am (PDT). The I-80 entrance is less than a mile from the RV park so we were moving east a good pace within minutes of leaving our site. The first 340 miles were uneventful. I-80 follows the path of several historic routes for most of today's run. The routes include the California Trail (used by pioneers heading west in the mid 1800s), the Pony Express, and the first transcontinental railroad. From Winnemucca, the route follows the Humboldt River Valley (the river is at flood stage). It then goes over several passes, most not too high and a series of valleys until we got to West Wendover, NV and the Utah state line. At that point we drive across the Bonneville Salt Flats and then along the south shore of the Great Salt Lake.

About 10 miles from our destination, we heard a noise and my trailer tire monitor sensed a "rapid loss of pressure" and the alarm went off. I was starting for the edge of the road when a trucker pointed me to the shoulder. We had another blow out... 8 miles from our exit in Salt Lake City. As luck would have it, this was the worst place in this part of I-80 for telephone reception. I called a road service I subscribe to for assistance in changing the tire. After several lost calls we managed to communicate the problem and our location. While we were waiting, a Utah Department of Transportation Incident Management truck came up behind us. The driver, Billy, who happened to be a fellow RVer, suggested that he and I change the tire and we completed the change before the emergency road service was able to reach us. While we were doing this, Susie contacted an RV dealer who carries our brand of trailer and arranged for us to come in this afternoon. I was glad to be on the road again, but unhappy at having another blow out.

We got to the RV dealer, about 15 miles from where we had the blow out, and Andrew, the Service Writer, inspected the damage and declared it minor. I had concluded the same from my inspection shortly after the incident. The blown out tire had ripped out the wires leading to the side marker light and tore out a bracket that supported the skirt at the bottom of the trailer. He estimated that it would take about a 1/2 hour to complete and the cost would be minimal. Unfortunately, all the mechanics were tied up and we were asked to return in the morning. Andrew directed us to a tire dealer who carried trailer tires and we replaced the blown out tire.

Our original plan for today was to arrive at the RV park in mid afternoon, have an early supper and head for Temple Square to hear a rehearsal concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. As I said at the top of this commentary, I was beat and in no mood to go into town. We opted to stay in the park tonight.



Above left, a rest area on I-80 in Utah and its welcoming sign, above right. About the only sign more welcoming is the one, at left, in Los Angeles' Griffith Park.

Previous Day Next Day